Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mount Kota Kinabalu - What Shoes to Wear?

The first thing that troubled me before even train for the climb was, what shoes should I wear?

I brought myself 3 pair of shoes to Sabah.
1. My comfortable New Balance Trekking Shoe
2. The Famous Kampung Addidas
3. Strap Sandal

At the end, only 2 of them are with me along the hike, the trekking shoes and Kampung Addidas, as I felt I've bringing too much stuff.

Want to know more about my Hiking at Mount Kota Kinabalu? Click HERE.

Hiking Up
I wear my trekking shoe on the first day of hike. The track is kinda muddy and wet most of the time for the first 4km. It make me a little worry of getting it wet. The last thing you want is to wear a wet shoe and socks under the cold weather like that. Other than that, the shoe did a really good job, comfortable, enough grip for hike up, it bring me all the way up to Laban Rata.

Summit Push
*Unfortunately, I didn't do the summit push on next day, however, I planned to wear the Kampung Addidas for summit push in fact. I bet it's good enough for that.

Hiking Down
On hiking down, I wore the Kampung Addidas as it is purposely bought for the Mount KK hike. The grip is definitely perfect! It works like charm even we are in a little running step, it doesn't give us a single slip at all. We wear it all the way down from Laban Rata to Timpohon Gate. My toes do hurt, but it's bearable. So do wear a thicker socks, but not too thick until stuffy.

Next time, I might try wearing my Strap Sandals for way down, probably. :)


Where to get Kampung Addidas in Bukit Mertajam or Penang?
There are several old shoes shop at Jalan Datuk Ooh Chooi Chong (Just go straight after passing hospital, those old shop lots on left before reaching the T-junction), at the old town of Bukit Mertajam that sell Kampung Addidas. Just tell them you want to buy rubber shoes (塑胶鞋), they will know what you want. I get mine at RM6 per pair.
For Penang, I heard that old shoes shop at Chowrasta sell it too, and also hardware shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment